Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Lady in red

4
3 Comments 3
949 Views 949
760 words 760 words

THE GIRL IN THE RED DRESS


I saw her face, a crowded place.
I have reached the point in my life where I have to start my journey. Time to stop ‘trying to’ live life and live it for once. With my vision blurred and a problematic iris, I found myself in the middle of my mid-life crisis and realised I had been living life the wrong way. I was on a wrong journey, one that was asymmetric with destiny. So, I broke out of my shell.


My shell, my home, was once my safe-ground, is now holding me back in a prison. The membrane that stays in its shell too long begins to rot. I was trapped inside a box. I needed to think outside the box, live outside the box. I never gave space to new dreams; I let the old dreams tie me down. I never gave myself the chance to grow or evolve. Instead, I remained the yolk in this shell. I let myself remain vulnerable and fragile in my safe house. I liked the view of being a baby rocked in his crib looking at the stars, in his glass house. So, I broke out of my shell and spread my wings.


I spread my wings and flew till I touched the sky. The impossible was now in an arm’s reach. I liked the view up here; failure looks as small as an ant when you looked down on it. From here, fantasy was slowing, becoming a reality, dreams were becoming memories. I looked around and played with the clouds and built snowmen with clouds with silver linings. I pulled the stars closer to my pillow whenever I went to bed. I broke off my shell and spread my wings; I could fly, I was a butterfly. The rays of the sun first hit me.


The rays of the sun first hit me, and I saw the light. It was like I was walking on a road of darkness till I saw the light. I chose a new destiny, one worth believing in and not settling for. I smiled for the first time and marveled at this new land, a land of opportunity and countless possibilities. I grabbed my pick ready for my first day of work. Today I’m gonna be a gold-digger. House of horrors and failures, I put that house on the market and watched its price depreciate. Sold the voices in my head, coz you know, talk is cheap. I went fishing in the Fanta-sea (fantasy) of dreams and caught one. Laid it on the table, pulled a fork and a knife from my back, I have been stabbed too many times.  With one bite, I reminisced about how I used to walk alone, only with my shadow, I walked with darkness.


My walk in darkness in search for a light bulb was the equivalent of a snowman’s walk in search of the sun. Snowmen and I are creatures of the night, never meant to see the light. What happens when a dark mind gets a bright idea, and that lightbulb pops up? I’m on a path to a story with no good ending, like a vampire falling in love with a human.

So I write my heartbreak in my vampire diaries and sleep in my coffin, how fitting. If I sleep in a coffin every day, nobody will show up at my funeral.  If I cried wolf every day, nobody would show up at my funeral. If I killed everybody that mattered, nobody would show up for my funeral. But as I flew into the light, I noticed that my companion, my shadow wouldn’t show up for my funeral.


As I walked away from my funeral and into my new life, I saw her face. We were in the subway, there were lifeless beings around me all in white and black but she stood out, dressed in a red dress. I don’t know why I thought my dream girl would wear a white dress, something like a wedding dress. Funny what we EXCEPT to find when we go searching UNEXPECTEDLY. I knew I had to meet her, grab her by the arm, and see her face. I rushed through the black and white crowd. Going into the hunger games, just to have a food fight. I’m switching moods like them mood-lights. Feel like I’m moonwalking towards the moonlight. Moonlight too bright, so I wear sunglasses and turn towards the sunlight.
To be continued...

 

 

Published 
Written by anthonychansa
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments