Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Anticipation

"The lead-up is almost as fun."

4
4 Comments 4
1.3k Views 1.3k
389 words 389 words
Anticipation

The excitement starts weeks away. We discuss the dates of our next encounter. Both our busy lives leave little time to see each other, but we carve out a little slice. Sometimes, it's a big slice. That makes me grin, as the tickets are purchased.

Each day I wake knowing I'll see her again. The weeks go by and none of the little things matter. Perhaps I'm just sappy, but as the days count off one by one and my grin only gets bigger.

The week arrives and I get a new feeling. That anticipation as you make your immediate plans. There is parking and packing. There are reservations and shows. There's parceling time to relax and just be together. To work that nasty Saturday crossword. I feel tremors of joy every time I think of one more step checked off.

It gets closer by the hour. The bags are packed. I check the gas and the traffic. It's time to double check the flight. I follow that with a text to say I'm on the way. I watch the clock as I'm held up by traffic and red lights, but the planning is all in place. I've anticipated what will hold me back and what time I should arrive. 

There's a line at security, and a line before I board. It's just more time to think of the wonderful woman waiting at my destination. The crescendo builds as I taxi down the strip. People try to hold a conversation with me but I'm too wound up. They can tell I'm up to something. A ball of excitement ready to explode.

It's always the same. Land and hail a cab. It's a short ride but it feels like forever. I'm so close. My heart races knowing who will be greeting me at the door. 

Once I arrive there's just a couple minutes more. An elevator I've been in so many times before. Knowing it's taking me where I want to go, but slowly. My grin cannot be stopped. The anticpation is intoxicating.

I knock on the door and wait those few last seconds before I can take her in my arms, planting all those kisses I have saved upon her lips and building the anticipation of what's to come.

But that isn't a story you get to hear.

Published 
Written by Nox
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments