last reply
74 replies
3.4k views
1 watcher
59 likes
Administration
2 likes

Happy New Year! 

The last few years have been filled with plenty of ups and downs. This time of year is typically one for reflection. Reflection of what went wrong or what went right. Things we wish we could have accomplished or said. Perhaps even things we wish we wouldn’t have done or said. Our whole life is riddled with those moments and that leads me to our new competition theme…

A New Years Do-Over

Here is your prompt: 

You are alone at a New Year’s Eve party trying to decide if anyone would notice you leave early when you are approached by a mysterious stranger. They offer you a chance to change one regret; just one wish at a do-over. What would they have to say to convince you to accept it? What would happen to your life if you did? Would it end up another regret or would it be a wish come true?

To add a bit of fun, your story must contain the following words: Reboot, Fireworks, Midnight, Awakening, and Green. 

All categories are open except for Flash Fiction, Micro Fiction, Plays, Poetry, and Songs. That means the word count minimum is 1001 and the max is 5000.

Quick Facts:

The Word count minimum is 1001 and the max is 5000.

You cannot submit already published work.

The story must be stand-alone.

Do not forget the five keywords.

All Stories Space rules and guidelines apply.yG2FovbANPJfOgkc

The ending date is February 4th, 2022 

The winners will be announced on February 15th, 2022

Prizes:

First: $250 (USD)

Second: $50 (USD

Third: $25 (USD)

Have fun and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Administration
1 like

I know the front page cover is blank for now. The competition banner will be arriving soon!

Edit to add: I would like to keep promotions of stories in this competition thread and not in a new one. Thanks!

Crazy old ape
1 like

Quote by Molly
I know the front page cover is blank for now. The competition banner will be arriving soon!

Yeah, that kind of weirded me out when I came on the site and there was huge blank spot with a broken image link. Decided it must be a comp banner and clicked it. Nice theme. Not sure what I will do with it, yet.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Magnificent Bastard
1 like

Selector of Themes… we’ll done.

Hopefully, this cool idea will attract a bunch of entries. $250 USD first place prize is nothing to sneeze at either.

Let the games begin!

Iconoclastically incorrigible or just a silly dumb ass...
0 likes

I like the theme 😊

Thank you, Molly, I’ll give this a go

Shy Scribbler
0 likes

Love the theme and the very generous first prize biggrin

Just a simple girl from Kentucky scribbling her way through this great big world.

Shy Scribbler
2 likes

Well, looks like I'll be first out of the gate if my entry passes. I just submitted my story, "Unraveling an Icon".

I always feel like I've sort of cheated readers when I leave words on the table, but I wrote what I wanted on this one and was happy with the content at just 3,200 words. I enjoyed this challenge and I'll be happy if at least one reader enjoys my efforts.

I look forward to reading all your creative takes on the theme. smile

Just a simple girl from Kentucky scribbling her way through this great big world.

Crazy old ape
1 like

And the image is finally up on the front page!! No more ugly grey blank spot!!

😊

Congrats, Writergirl on being first in!! Still trying to figure out what the hell to write myself. None of the ideas that are perpetually kicking around in my head are a fit for this one.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Active Ink Slinger
1 like

Scott, my thinking exactly--where do I want to go with this, And not surprisingly WriterGirl shows us they was so cleverly.

Concluding chapter (16) of THE HIGH AND THE HUMBLE in situ.

Writing down under
1 like

Quote by Violet_the_Verbose

I have no ragrets 😎

The competition anti-thesis; now if only I could write as well as Edith can sing.

Quote by Mendalla

Congrats, Writergirl on being first in!! Still trying to figure out what the hell to write myself. None of the ideas that are perpetually kicking around in my head are a fit for this one.

Writergirl's story is fabulous. I have a story that has been kicking around in my mind for a while and 1000 words written that might just fit the bill. Now to find the time to redraft those words and add a lot more.

My latest story, Mardi Gras Competition: Sydney's Mardi Gras: We Shall Overcome

Some earlier stories:

Spooky Tales competition: Tales From the Crypt: Downunder Edition

Tam-challenge Micro: Under the Red Hoodie 

Maybe my best story: Finding Pride on Oxford Street

2 likes

I think I have an idea. 1300 words in, and it's going well. Fingers crossed it turns out okay.

Got my work cut out for me after reading WriterGirl's though.

Shy Scribbler
1 like

Thank you all for your supportive comments. This theme, to me, seemed simple at first, but the more I thought about it the more complex it became. I couldn't draw on my personal self for it, so got inside another. I really look forward to everyone's entries because I think this theme will enlighten us all in some way and all entries will make us "feel" something deeply. smile

Good luck to everyone and I will sincerely be happy no matter who takes home the big prize. I sincerely mean that. I am putting together a book of my fav scribbles for my son to keep and just happy to have this one to add to it.

Kaiju-adjacent
1 like

Quote by WriterGirl
Good luck to everyone and I will sincerely be happy no matter who takes home the big prize. I sincerely mean that. I am putting together a book of my fav scribbles for my son to keep and just happy to have this one to add to it.

Great idea, and a great attitude to have toward the comps!

Teeth of the Sky - Myths and Monsters competition, first place

Fire and Ice - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words competition, first place

Monster - Survivor competition, first place

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Crap, I might have something. It's a bit convoluted and needs work but I have a complete first draft of it. Oh, and I am pretty sure that it's missing two of the words so have to look into making sure they get in there.

1 like

Quote by TomEccleston

Got my work cut out for me after reading WriterGirl's though.

Agreed.

Tough act to follow even if I did have any ideas. Which I don’t. 🤣

Still time, I guess…

Chasing Dragons
0 likes

I may have something but I'm not sure... 🤔

If anyone wishes to find the beginning of this epic saga, here it is:
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-nurses.aspx

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

https://www.vbay.info/thenurses

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

0 likes

Go for it, Anna x

I finally have an idea that might work and if I can scribble a rough plot this weekend, I should make the deadline. If I don’t have the outline written by Sunday night, that’s me done. I won’t have enough time 😱

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Well, fittingly for the theme of competition, my entry is getting a do-over. Yep, I wasn't happy with the first story I wrote so I am pursuing another idea. It is going well, though I've kind of stalled on the final bit. Thought I knew how to end it but apparently not.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by Molly

Looks like I can start that list now. smile

WriterGirl: https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/general/unraveling-an-icon

Brad_Naylor: https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/science-fiction/the-butterfly-effect-1

OpheliaTusk: https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/fantasy/the-unguarded-wish-of-the-woman-in-the-green-stockings

Three! Three New Year's Do Overs!! Ha ha ha!

FYI, doing the list by editing the previous post has a problem in that it does not cause the thread to show as having new posts or move to the top of the New Posts page. It may be better to do something like this using quoteing and build this list as it goes along or just do a post per story.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

And Redwriter has joined!

Mine is coming well now. Just need to decide which story to enter. Yep, I have pulled my old trick of writing two. I think I know which one I prefer but it needs some more work.

0 likes

I still have nothing 😕

My idea really doesn’t work, so it’s a non starter and I really needed to get something written this weekend.

I’m waiting for that flash of inspiration. Still might happen, I guess.

Good luck to everyone else xxx

Crazy old ape
1 like

Quote by Welshdreamer42
I really needed to get something written this weekend.

The due date is Feb. 4 and there isn't the pressure to get votes like on (redacted) so you've got time. I, on the other hand, may be getting my cataracts done soon so that's kind of my deadline.

1 like

Quote by Mendalla

Quote by Welshdreamer42
I really needed to get something written this weekend.

The due date is Feb. 4 and there isn't the pressure to get votes like on (redacted) so you've got time. I, on the other hand, may be getting my cataracts done soon so that's kind of my deadline.

It’s good that you have a date for that but I can see that gives you a finite deadline. Best of luck with it.

I’m meant to be on holiday next week, which is why a realistic deadline for me was this weekend. I might still find time, but I’m not sure. We’ll see.

Shy Scribbler
0 likes

Woohoo! worship I hope Scott, WD, VV will submit too! Interesting takes on the theme so far. I dare say, I think the fantastic writing found on this site rivals another smile

Last I heard, Ping was working on a dark story for the comp. I have my teddy bear on stand by...

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Six to date. Mine is coming soon for seven. Wonder what else our merry band of writers has in store?