last reply
45 replies
2.1k views
1 watcher
50 likes
Administration
2 likes

Mardi Gras

The French name Mardi Gras means Fat Tuesday, from the custom of using all the fats in the home before Lent in preparation for fasting and abstinence. That is not necessarily what we first think of when we hear Mardi Gras. 

That would be bright colors of purple, green, and gold, lavish costumes, and intricate masks. The parades and parties, losing your inhibitions and stepping out of your comfort zone. Let’s not forget the music! 

Mardi Gras is your theme. What does it make you think of, adventurous times, party after party, scary masks, and what lies beneath?  Make it your celebration. 

All topics are open except for micro, flash, play, poetry, and song.

Quick Facts:

You cannot submit already published work.

All Stories Space rules and guidelines apply.rNoEkj6NdU7HVpzb

The minimum word count is 1000.

The ending date is February 21, 2023

The winners will be announced on March 1, 2023

Prizes:

First: $150 (USD)

Second: $75 (USD

Third: $50 (USD)

Have fun and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Crazy old ape
4 likes

I actually visited the Mardi Gras exhibit at the Louisiana State Museum on Tuesday so have some inspiration in hand. This should be a fun comp.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Kaiju-adjacent
3 likes

I did spend a night in jail during Mardi Gras, back in the day....

Teeth of the Sky - Myths and Monsters competition, first place

Fire and Ice - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words competition, first place

Monster - Survivor competition, first place

Crazy old ape
3 likes

Quote by verbal

That might make a better story than anything I come up with. 😜 Or was it a boring thing you did to get the NOPD pissed at you.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

2 likes

Quote by Molly
Quick Facts:

You cannot submit already published work.

All Stories Space rules and guidelines apply.r3z0sOxcrJTl3umW

The minimum word count is 1000.

Is there a maximum word count? 200,000 for instance?

Addicted to words, read and written.

Latest in the Bear & Girl story arc: Girl, Not Frog

Administration
3 likes

Quote by JamesPBear

Is there a maximum word count? 200,000 for instance?

The standard 10,000 since we don't post stories over 10,000.

Writing down under
2 likes

Quote by verbal

Now I so want to know more about how that came to pass.

As always things are a little different down under, Mardi Gras is synonymous with a celebration of the rainbow community cumulating in the LGBTQI Mardi Gras Parade. A writing well I have drawn from before. But, lol, I suppose I can't just polish this a little and submit:

Finding Pride on Oxford Street

My latest story, Mardi Gras Competition: Sydney's Mardi Gras: We Shall Overcome

Some earlier stories:

Spooky Tales competition: Tales From the Crypt: Downunder Edition

Tam-challenge Micro: Under the Red Hoodie 

Maybe my best story: Finding Pride on Oxford Street

Crazy old ape
2 likes

Quote by CuriousAnnie
Mardi Gras is synonymous with a celebration of the rainbow community cumulating in the LGBTQI Mardi Gras Parade

There are LGBTQ+ krewes in New Orleans' Mardi Gras, too. The museum had artifacts from some of them.

Kaiju-adjacent
2 likes

Quote by Mendalla

That might make a better story than anything I come up with. 😜 Or was it a boring thing you did to get the NOPD pissed at you.

It's a surprisingly dull story.

Shy Scribbler
1 like

What a great theme! Thanks, Molly! I can't wait to read y'alls takes on this theme. Some day I'm gonna go to Mardi Gras πŸ˜€

Just a simple girl from Kentucky scribbling her way through this great big world.

Active Ink Slinger
2 likes

β€œLaissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!!” Or as they say in The Big Easy….Let the Good Times Roll! This is going to be a fun comp! πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸ₯‚πŸ₯‚πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’πŸ‘‘πŸ‘‘πŸ‘‘

Crazy old ape
1 like

It would be more fun if I could figure out where my story wants to go. I have a beginning but not sure where to go from there.

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

Okay, I am taking a shot at telling my non-fiction adventures in NO today. Two questions: is non-fiction allowed? And is there a word limit? I looked and couldn't find answers to either.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Oh let’s see what MOLLY has to say about those questions. Good questions though!

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Quote by Mendalla

It would be more fun if I could figure out where my story wants to go. I have a beginning but not sure where to go from there.

when that happens to me, I try listening to music or watching something to replenish my wellspring - and refill my creative energy reserves? maybe you can try that?

Administration
1 like

Quote by verbal

Okay, I am taking a shot at telling my non-fiction adventures in NO today. Two questions: is non-fiction allowed? And is there a word limit? I looked and couldn't find answers to either.

Non-fiction is allowed, Just no mico, flash, poetry, song, or play.

The word limit is the standard 10,000-word limit that the site has.

Kaiju-adjacent
1 like

Quote by Molly

Non-fiction is allowed, Just no mico, flash, poetry, song, or play.

The word limit is the standard 10,000-word limit that the site has.

Thanks Molly. This memory might be a tad more exciting than I had first remembered it to be.

Administration
0 likes

Quote by verbal
Thanks Molly. This memory might be a tad more exciting than I had first remembered it to be.

Speaking for myself and I think many others, I look forward to hearing it!

Shy Scribbler
2 likes

Woohoo! Finishing up my entry... hopefully publishing by next weekend. 😊

Just a simple girl from Kentucky scribbling her way through this great big world.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Hi.. it says what we first think of is New Orleans Maris Gras but does the story have to be about New Orleans? Or can it be set somewhere else? Can it be about the beginning of Lent for example? Or is it parades and costumes you want? Thanks.

Administration
0 likes

Quote by Ceebees

Hi.. it says what we first think of is New Orleans Maris Gras but does the story have to be about New Orleans? Or can it be set somewhere else? Can it be about the beginning of Lent for example? Or is it parades and costumes you want? Thanks.

Hello. The story has to be about Mardi Gras. You don't necessarily have to be in New Orleans, just as long as it's during Mardi Gras.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by Molly

Hello. The story has to be about Mardi Gras. You don't necessarily have to be in New Orleans, just as long as it's during Mardi Gras.

So, Carnival in Rio and some other Latin and Caribbean countries would be on point, since those are Mardi Gras festivals?

Administration
1 like

Quote by Mendalla

So, Carnival in Rio and some other Latin and Caribbean countries would be on point, since those are Mardi Gras festivals?

Of course, since they are the same celebrations.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by Molly

Of course, since they are the same celebrations.

Thanks. Never even thought of it. Probably because I was just back from NOLA when the comp was announced.

I hope others have stories coming because I am flailing. Went back to working on a completely unrelated story last night just to keep myself writing.

1 like

I submitted my story this morning. With that finished, I am now free to read the other comp stories as they come in. The two that are published are wonderful.

Grabbing a sparkling water before I take my brother to the pool.

~Kat~

My top ten Monsters and Myths competition story:

Queen of the Turbines

My 2nd place Mardi Gras competition story:

Memories of Mardi Gras (One Last Time)