Find your next favourite story now
Login

Inspirations, the Stories Space Coffee House: If you're reading this it just might mean I'm back, sorta. If you're not reading this, well, congratulations.

last reply
9.3k replies
407k views
17 watchers
956 likes
0 likes
I'm glad it wasn't just me. I kept trying to enter, and kept getting "Time Out" errors. But we seem to have oiled the hinges on the door today, so TA-DA! Here I am.

Lovely to see everyone. I'm hoping to post a couple of new Bear & Girl stories today, if anyone's interested. And I'm going to try to figure out the Inspirate challenge. As the later, great Yogi Berra once said, "You can see an awful lot just by looking."

And with that, I'd like some tea, Earl Grey, hot, please. In a polar bear mug, if possible.

Thanks all!

Addicted to words, read and written.

Latest in the Bear & Girl story arc: Girl, Not Frog

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by gillianleeza

We got our boat running again and took it out Saturday. Unfortunately, we couldn't go in the water because the bay and river are full of stinging jellyfish. I have an awful reaction to their stings. They used to show up much later in the season and not out in the middle of the bay. Now they arrive early and are everywhere. Of course, the water temps are higher each summer. Last summer it was ninety degrees in the bay. That's not exactly a temperature for a refreshing dip.

I wouldn't want to go swimming with jellies (especially the stinging ones), but there is an aquarium near me in La Jolla that has an exhibit of moon jellies. It is my favorite exhibit to sit and stare at like a crazy woman lost in her own world.

Hi, Gypsy! Thanks for that info on the Blue Moon. I should check and see if there is an Angel's game on the 23rd!

Just enjoying my day off today. I started a new story but got about 500 words in and lost my train of thought. Hate when that happens.
Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes
Thanks for the set-up Larry.

Glad everything is running smoothly again here. It's like the ground is rumbling, as we ready ourselves for...the change.

<insert gif from random disaster movie here>

The prompt entries have been too cool. It's a fun idea. I hope it continues. I'll continue to try to hone my negligible micro skills.

It's No Talia Wednesday here in Verbaltown (she was gonna have to go back full time but they cancelled it at the last minute - yay!). I'm teaching the cats interpretive dance today.

The Mets are SOOOOOOO BAAAAAAAAAAD. That's enough said about that. Hope Roland is dong okay.

Coffee and...let's see...a jellyfish shaped cookie please!

Teeth of the Sky - Myths and Monsters competition, first place

Fire and Ice - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words competition, first place

Monster - Survivor competition, first place

Magnificent Bastard
0 likes
Well, temp dropped to -2 C last night. That’s a chilly tent sleep. And two days of rain is forecast so the trip maybe shortened. No fun packing in the rain.

Got a chance to read a few stories and reply to some comments. Feast and pin in the ass are two lasting memories. 🤣

I can’t wait to get home to ride again. Winter is coming. Gotta squeeze in some kilometerage before the snow flies. THAT should be a word.

Ciau for now.
Iconoclastically incorrigible or just a silly dumb ass...
Story Moderator
0 likes
Quote by Tams

I wouldn't want to go swimming with jellies (especially the stinging ones), but there is an aquarium near me in La Jolla that has an exhibit of moon jellies. It is my favorite exhibit to sit and stare at like a crazy woman lost in her own world.

The aquarium where we vacation has a cool jellyfish exbibit. Your pic looks a lot like the ones at the NC aquarium. On display is the only way I want to experience jellyfish. No amount of baking soda, msg, or Benadryl helps my reaction to their stings.

Had fun at the farmers market today. I went a bit overboard so I have a lot of fresh vegetables to use now. I can combine a lot of them with all the tomatoes and herbs I grew. I'm going to make some roasted tomatillo salsa first. I already baked some fresh crusty bread and blueberry/blackberry scones.

I need something cool to drink. It's still hot and humid here of course.

Have a great evening everyone.

Cheers!
👑Magic Cookie FAIRY 🍪
0 likes
hi peeps
A beautiful day here
A large iced coffee sounds good to me
A busy morning untangling family trees

I do have fresh cookies!
Moving the old cookies to the emergency cookie tins behind the counter and filling the cookie jars to the tippy top*
Today's offerings are diabetic and gluten free friendly too
Sea life sugar cookies : dolphins, starfishes, jellyfishes, octopuses, seahorses and clown fishes

*Giving the adorable critters fresh water and treats*
Hope everyone is having a great day!
Stay safe and
Crazy old ape
0 likes
I'll take a jellyfish and an octopus with my green tea.

I have not been to the La Jolla aquarium but have seen similar displays in aquaria that I have visited. Apparently, Ripley's now has a nice aquarium in Toronto. Must try to get there someday.

Speaking of stingers, I appear to have new neighbours that I am less enamoured of than my various birdies. Some wasps are nesting in an opening in the brick over my front door. My phobia of stinging bugs has not really been triggered (yet), oddly enough. I brought a load of groceries in through that door yesterday and barely noticed them as they zipped back and forth. Debating whether to live and let live or get some wasp spray and go medieval on their little yellow asses.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
We get lots of Lion's Mane jellyfish on Belfast Lough this time of year. Not nice for the sea swimmers!

I'll have a bedtime lemon and ginger tea please, with a handful of Sara's cookies.
Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

Hey, the new site is too cool! I feel so fancy!

Still finding my way around. Wait! Here is the coffee, and here are Sara’s cookie jars. Yum. I need nothing else. smile

Mets finally won a game, though it took them several extra innings. And now we have to play the frikkin Dodgers. Sigh.

Busy day today, so I will get to it.

A coffee and a cookie would be swell.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Still getting oriented to the new site, but starting to like it. Definitely more modern in look and capabilities. I started a thread in Site Announcements and Feedback for posting tip and tricks on using SS 2.0.

https://www.storiesspace.com/forum/site-announcements-and-members-feedback/new-site-tips-and-tricks

I think it is probably time to party, though it seems to be hard to get here right now. Are others finding that the Break Room forum isn't showing in the Forums list (but can be reached by using My Posts)?

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Wow! Isn't t this nice — and coming just as I go away for the week? Not sure if we have wi-fi in the place we're staying, We leave Friday afternoon. Only a week in Wales, but an apartment overlooking the sea.

Accommodation is scarce as hen's teeth in the UK at the moment, prices have tripled on some properties since we booked ours. We have not been away from home since the summer of 2019, so I/m really looking forward to the change of scene.

WIll do some walking, visit historical sites, and hopefully do some paddleboarding.

👑Magic Cookie FAIRY 🍪
0 likes

I probably won't be posting much.  I'm not getting the fancy site mine is looking like the mobile site and no way to communicate with others like black boxes and that sucks rocks .

This is going to be so frustrating.. just because I'm on my phone I should not be penalized .but oh well 

But I'll keep dropping off cookies ..

*Peeking in the cookie jars* we are still in good shape with the sea life cookies from yesterday*

*Giving the adorable critters fresh water and treats* 

Stay safe everyone. 

Carey’d away.
0 likes

I thought I was going to hate the new site but I actually like it (except for when I can't find the threads I want to post in).

My heart has wi-fi and the password is Drew Carey.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Welp, we are seeing a variety of opinions on SS 2.0. I am reserving judgement because there is so much missing, I suspect work is still ongoing.

Putting on the kettle for those what need it.

Crazy old ape
0 likes
Quote by DenimAngel

Mr ape there is a dozen pecan divines with your name on them if you can kindly tell me how to change the active ink slinger by my name ..

At the list of Forums, find More at the right beside Search. Tap it to get a menu. From the menu, choose Forum Settings. Rank and Signature are both set there.

👑Magic Cookie FAIRY 🍪
0 likes
Quote by Mendalla
Quote by DenimAngel

Mr ape there is a dozen pecan divines with your name on them if you can kindly tell me how to change the active ink slinger by my name ..

At the list of Forums, find More at the right beside Search. Tap it to get a menu. From the menu, choose Forum Settings. Rank and Signature are both set there.
Thank you Ape 🤗 and gives you a box of pecan divines 
Crazy old ape
0 likes

* ape hunkers down with divines and tea *

So, been a rather muggy day here. Still got in a bike ride and some yardwork (pruning a badly overgrown rose bush). Otherwise, been spending an inordinate amount of time on here figuring things out.

Story Moderator
0 likes

It's been a long day of changes here. I know a lot is different, but I am grateful we still have a place to gather and write. Change is hard, and I know it takes me a while to get used to new things. Hopefully, some features can be added or restored. It's an ongoing process. Rome wasn't built in a day after all.

I was convinced all day it was Friday, and I have no idea why. Another hot, muggy, rainy day here; some things never change. I hope everyone has a good Friday. I'll be relaxing with some lemonade and a few cookies.

Cheers!

Magnificent Bastard
0 likes

"Woof!" to borrow a funny phrase from a funny man from a now highly offensive, but still funny movie. Anyone know any of those answers? That last answer is Blazing Saddles. Can you imagine that being proposed to be made today? LOL

Took a while to find my way, but it's looking pretty nice. Clean. Less cluttered. Modern. Stuff like that there. I'm sure there will be a few hiccups, but that's how the cyber cookie crumbles. Tech is not for the weak of heart. Hackers have no pulse. LOL

Egad. Came home a day early from camping. Rain. Cold. Woke up to - 1 C with rain forecasted for five days. We wuz outta there. I've now returned to my beloved motorcycles and their heated grips. Sure. Sure. There is something phallic and homoerotic about heated grips, but I don't care. They keep my black leather-clad fingers warm. My upper carcass is warmed by my black leather jacket. Hmm... maybe I should get some black leather ass-less chaps. Riding might be a bit cold in October, you know, with things hanging out and flopping in the cool breeze. You are all most welcome for that delightful image.

Patience. The site is looking marvey. They dun real good. We'll figure it out. I had an x-rated metaphor here, but removed it. We'll just need to work together to find it. ;)

A mochaccino with a blast of something a little stronger, please. Later gaters.

Iconoclastically incorrigible or just a silly dumb ass...
Writing down under
0 likes

Afternoon all, warmish today, low 20's C; really feeling that winter is behind us. This is a favourite time of year for me, I love the spring flowers and gardens are blooming, azaleas the most common in Sydney. 

Having escaped the worst of Covid, lockdown is now tightening in response to a Delta outbreak. So more time at home, which suits me at the moment. Hope you all have a good Friday, I will take some tea I think.

I like the look of the site, open and fresh, reading and commenting on stories seems easier. I am glad I have seen this change, there are a couple of things I need to do on the red site before change over. And a couple of things like BB messaging, and being instantly aware of which friends are online that I need to get used to. 

My latest story, Mardi Gras Competition: Sydney's Mardi Gras: We Shall Overcome

Some earlier stories:

Spooky Tales competition: Tales From the Crypt: Downunder Edition

Tam-challenge Micro: Under the Red Hoodie 

Maybe my best story: Finding Pride on Oxford Street

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Good morning! Coffee is on, kettle is boiled, teapot is filled with Irish Breakfast. I have goodies for us to enjoy in celebration of the new StoriesSpace. Ignore the weird banner. It's been reported.

Story Moderator
0 likes

I'm glad things are being updated; patience is definitely a virtue while this is going on. I'm not tech-savvy, but I am making my way around and finding what is working and what is not. It's a good day for it. We have heavy soaking rains here—remnants of one of the tropical storms, not sure which. 

Normally I would be at my parents, but they are quarantining due to a few people testing positive in their retirement community. Not good, and it will affect my father adversely. It never ends. Sigh...

Kaiju-adjacent
1 like

Good morning everyone, and welcome to the first full day of the new SS! It looks pretty cool, and the shakedown is slowly showing us the capabilities and limitations of the new site. I can get to new stories and new posts, which is all I ever did before. Set up a sig line. I haven't started playing around with comments and votes, but I will soon.

Verity, you wrote a play!?  Too cool. That's truly pushing the creative envelope both here and at the other sites. Hundreds of thousands of stories, and has anyone written a play before now? Super impressive. My apologies if I'm missing someone's writing.  

No Talia Friday. I haven't seen the cats yet today. I think they are hiding from me. Rehearsals for our feline+human production of Damn Yankees did not go well. Frikkin divas. In the middle of You Gotta Have Heart, Wallace hocked up a hairball.

Coffee and a dolphin shaped cookie please.

Crazy old ape
0 likes
Quote by gillianleeza

Normally I would be at my parents, but they are quarantining due to a few people testing positive in their retirement community. Not good, and it will affect my father adversely. It never ends. Sigh...

Ugh. Vibes, Gill. My son and his partner were sick recently but tested negative so hopefully just a summer cold or something like that.

Hot and muggy here these days. Starting to look forward to Fall, which is my favorite season for the most part anyhow. Would be nice if work would make a call on return to work so I know what's going on. We are running with one car (gave my daily driver to my son a year ago so he doesn't have to use transit during the pandemic) but may need a second again if I am going to office fulltime.

Crazy old ape
0 likes
Quote by verbal

Verity, you wrote a play!?  Too cool. That's truly pushing the creative envelope both here and at the other sites. Hundreds of thousands of stories, and has anyone written a play before now? Super impressive. My apologies if I'm missing someone's writing.  

I have thought about writing a play before but I am really not familiar enough with the stage to do it. Haven't read much modern drama either. I think the most recent play I have read was Miller's Death of a Salesman. I was thinking at one point I might hunt up an amateur theatre company to join both to try my hand at acting and so I could get a feel for it, but that's another thing that the pandemic has sidelined.

Story Moderator
0 likes

I am not sure if I ever noticed there was an option to submit a play. 🙄I was curious, so I clicked on the genre and saw several authors have written plays. None in the last year, but I'm going to check them out. 

Crazy old ape
0 likes
Quote by gillianleeza

I am not sure if I ever noticed there was an option to submit a play. 🙄I was curious, so I clicked on the genre and saw several authors have written plays. None in the last year, but I'm going to check them out. 

Yeah, I had kind of missed that, too, until Verity's went up yesterday.

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes
Quote by Mendalla
Quote by verbal

I have thought about writing a play before but I am really not familiar enough with the stage to do it. Haven't read much modern drama either. I think the most recent play I have read was Miller's Death of a Salesman. I was thinking at one point I might hunt up an amateur theatre company to join both to try my hand at acting and so I could get a feel for it, but that's another thing that the pandemic has sidelined.
Ooh, we can click on the genre and see! Cool! I'll go look too!

EDIT: Hey, Larry wrote one!