What hobbies do you do to relax?

last reply
44 replies
4.6k views
1 watcher
6 likes
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Now that my shoulder has been repaired, I am back to playing golf more.

My other hobbies are making jewelry, stained glass, and antique shopping.

I also have a full shop in my garage and woodwork, less so now than before.

What are yours?
Chasing Dragons
0 likes
I did enjoy Archery but have lapsed lately. I think I will take it up again next spring.
I love writing, as you all know.
I also have a love of all things miniature, the more detailed the better.
To that end, I made a model of a future scene from my 'Nurses' tale. I was so pleased with it that I have begun another.

(Last picture was pre-completion)

If anyone wishes to find the beginning of this epic saga, here it is:
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-nurses.aspx

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

https://www.vbay.info/thenurses

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

0 likes
I LOVE playing BigFish & GameHouse games.

Crazy old ape
0 likes
Well, writing and reading for starters. Hanging out on forums. Biking, but this being Southern Ontario, that's seasonal.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Lurker
0 likes
I draw
Chasing Dragons
0 likes
Quote by Lonelyoldman
I draw

I wish I could

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Read and do crossword puzzles. Or jigsaw puzzles when I visit a certain friend. That is because she has no TV, no internet connection, and there isn't a lot to do. We just learned the game Quiddler which was fun. Lots of just sipping wine or beer and doing puzzles and games. We did go to a local theater group for a play. Nice change of pace (but hard with no computer).
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I cook a lot, though more out of daily necessity. I bake and decorate birthday and wedding cakes.
I weld and plasma cut things in metal. I ride motorbikes and less often, our horses. I really enjoy archery, both recurve and compound. I sew... I love creating
I also like playing words with friends.
Crazy old ape
0 likes
Quote by AnnaMayZing
Quote by Lonelyoldman
I draw

I wish I could

I used to as a teen (nothing fancy, just pencil sketches of my pets and nature as well as drawings of spaceships and other s-f stuff). Probably should take it up again. Would be a nice, meditative activity.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Chasing Dragons
0 likes
Quote by AriesDragon
I cook a lot, though more out of daily necessity. I bake and decorate birthday and wedding cakes.
I weld and plasma cut things in metal. I ride motorbikes and less often, our horses. I really enjoy archery, both recurve and compound. I sew... I love creating

Compound??
I prefer the recurve all day long. It feels more down to earth, more... traditional. Personal preference of course but all those pullies and cams just don't feel right to me.

Forum Facilitator
0 likes
I have several interests. To keep my mind active I like to do Sudoku and Cryptogram puzzles.

My other outlet is to work with my hands. It's more of a DIY nature. Fixing things instead of replace them as needed. Doing my own routine maintenance on our cars.

I do like going to estate auctions. If not to buy, just to look around. It's amazing the bargains you might find. But I have been out to many of them recently.

I also enjoy turning fine woods into saw dust in my workshop.
"Them ain't no militia, that's the Army of the Potomac!"
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Quote by AnnaMayZing
Quote by AriesDragon

Compound??
I prefer the recurve all day long. It feels more down to earth, more... traditional. Personal preference of course but all those pullies and cams just don't feel right to me.

You are both wet behind the ears...

A crossbow or slingbow is more accurate and more fun...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Dreamcatcher
Quote by AnnaMayZing
Quote by AriesDragon

Compound??

As I said, I enjoy both disiplines. The compound bow may not be the purists choice, but then modern recurve bows aren't exactly traditional anymore either. Both have their challenges and both are highly enjoyable to me... and I am a very good shot. Lol.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quantum mechanics, string theory, chemistry, mountain climbing. Oh and cooking.
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Quote by AriesDragon
Quote by Dreamcatcher
Quote by AnnaMayZing
Quote by AriesDragon

Compound??

As I said, I enjoy both disiplines. The compound bow may not be the purists choice, but then modern recurve bows aren't exactly traditional anymore either. Both have their challenges and both are highly enjoyable to me... and I am a very good shot. Lol.

A slingbow can be carried around in your back pocket. Try using one. You'll enjoy. I do like the recurve because it is traditional, but the compound is easier on the shoulders.
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Quote by LauraDanielle

Really? Then can you tell me what happens to a 1961 Buick LeSabre driving east at 80 MPH when it meets a black hole?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Dreamcatcher
Quote by LauraDanielle

Really? Then can you tell me what happens to a 1961 Buick LeSabre driving east at 80 MPH when it meets a black hole?

Ummm, it goes back to November 5th 1955, then back to 1985, duh.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I like to swim, everyday if poss. Fashion is my hobby, my passion, my life, except for my horses. Eventer moi, the lunatic fringe of equestrian life. Also I sail when I can and when I'm in the right place. Suffer from accute oniochalasia... at the pre-hoarder stage
❤️️🇨🇦 Elusive Enigma 🇨🇦❤️️
0 likes
Read, cook, put jigsaw puzzles together

Lurker
0 likes
I'm trying to post up to the 20 count so I can be a grown up here - but obvious to my photo - love to ride my motorcycle. 1999 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide with a Screaming Eagle Big bore kit and customized just the way I want it. My Chopper.
Administration
0 likes
I like to read and bake. I also write and draw. I prefer pen and ink or charcoal, which can be erratic, but a good ol' pencil works just as well.

To distract my self, I slip into the YouTube void. I start out watching a music video and the next thing you know I'm learning how to defuse a bomb.
Crazy old ape
0 likes
Quote by Molly

To distract my self, I slip into the YouTube void. I start out watching a music video and the next thing you know I'm learning how to defuse a bomb.

I think that's why I spend so much time zoned out on Youtube. You can kind of skip from topic to topic. I mostly watch science stuff and music videos but then some click-baity "Top Ten Movies that Feature Purple Crayons" stuff comes along and attracts me for reasons unknown, and probably best left that way, to humankind.

Administration
0 likes
Quote by Mendalla
Quote by Molly

I think that's why I spend so much time zoned out on Youtube. You can kind of skip from topic to topic. I mostly watch science stuff and music videos but then some click-baity "Top Ten Movies that Feature Purple Crayons" stuff comes along and attracts me for reasons unknown, and probably best left that way, to humankind.

Those Top Ten Anything gets me every time. One of my favorite things to watch is where they clean old carpets or rugs. It's so gross and so satisfying. And one of my favorite channels is OddTinkering. I found it on accident from the cleaning videos. He restores old items. I love watching it go from rusted and old to brand new.
❤️️🇨🇦 Elusive Enigma 🇨🇦❤️️
0 likes
I like to bake, grill, and write.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Baseball!!!
You can't get there from here, because when you get there you're still here and here is now there.
0 likes

Spiking up clothes, attending concerts and messing around w/ men.

Men are fun.

Kind-hearted Aussie Angel
0 likes

kayaking, diamond art, photography