last reply
69 replies
2.5k views
2 watchers
56 likes
Administration
1 like

A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words

For this contest, we wanted to add a bit of a challenge for some of you. As the title suggests, the word count will be one thousand. Allow one of the photos provided to spark your imagination! You are allowed to interpret this however you wish because we want to know what these pictures bring to mind. All categories are available except for Mico-Fiction, Plays, Poetry, and Songs. 

Quick Facts:

The word count is one thousand.

Please include the photo you choose as your cover photo. If you’d like to add your title or name to it that is fine. 

You cannot submit already published work.

All Stories Space rules and guidelines apply.0s4e6FWynDrRnTgf

Yes, we know the word count is sometimes off but we have ways of checking so please rest assured if you see one a little over it has been checked and it’s only our counter being fickle. 

The ending date is December 30, 2022 

The winners will be announced on January 6, 2023

Prizes:

First: $150 (USD)

Second: $75 (USD

Third: $50 (USD)

Have fun and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Crazy old ape
1 like

Woo hoo! New competition! And I am fairly sure I can manage a thousand by December 30. Just need to meditate on those photos a bit.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Starting my story today. I think I have it mostly sketched out in my brain but we shall see how the writing goes.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

1 like

Hmmm…

Addicted to words, read and written.

Latest in the Bear & Girl story arc: Girl, Not Frog

Shy Scribbler
0 likes

Very cool comp! Question: Is word max 1,000 or word count must equal 1,000?

Just a simple girl from Kentucky scribbling her way through this great big world.

Administration
1 like

Quote by WriterGirl

Very cool comp! Question: Is word max 1,000 or word count must equal 1,000?

The word count must equal 1000. smile

Shy Scribbler
1 like

Quote by Molly

Thx! I thought so just double-checking. 😊 A nice challenge!

Just a simple girl from Kentucky scribbling her way through this great big world.

Crazy old ape
1 like

Quote by KatarinaTechgoddess

This looks like an interesting challenge. 😎

Very. I have to start over but not because of this clarification. Basically, the idea I had was already at 600 words and I hadn't even got to the meat of the plot. Will save it for a longer story someday.

Administration
1 like

I know the advertising photo is different from the two that are posted. Please know that the two photos posted will not change. Thanks!

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Question - I wrote the story, it says exactly 1000 words on my document but when I copy it into the submission box it is over 1000 and I am confused how that happened? Is there some glitch? or is it including the title and authors note into the word count as well? And if so, does our exact word count include the authors note and all that too, or is it just the story itself?

Crazy old ape
2 likes

Quote by OpheliaTusk

Question - I wrote the story, it says exactly 1000 words on my document but when I copy it into the submission box it is over 1000 and I am confused how that happened? Is there some glitch? or is it including the title and authors note into the word count as well? And if so, does our exact word count include the authors note and all that too, or is it just the story itself?

That's a known bug in this software and has been around since the migration last year. If your word processor is saying 1000, then you are probably good. The mods know about the problem. I have at least one "1000 word" story on the site that shows as 1002 words.

Administration
1 like

Quote by OpheliaTusk

As Mendalla said, we know about it but we have ways of checking. As long as you have 1000 it will go through.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Less than two weeks to go, folks. Glad to see we are up to three entries (I'll let Molly post the link for the third, but it's Ping so I am eager to read it).

Mine draws near. I'm kind of dancing around the thousand words. Right now I'm a bit under, but next edit could push me over again. The story is done, the editing is not. 😕 Maybe by Monday or Tuesday. 🙄

Crazy old ape
0 likes

And that makes three! Mine is close. Maybe even this evening (EST). We shall see when I look at it again later today. Might start doing some reading of the others today.

0 likes

Quote by Molly

Can we rely on the website word count equalling that of our own word processors? They don't always, in my experience.

Crazy old ape
1 like

Quote by JamesPBear

Can we rely on the website word count equalling that of our own word processors? They don't always, in my experience.

Look upthread. The word count bug has been discussed already.

Quote by Molly

As Mendalla said, we know about it but we have ways of checking. As long as you have 1000 it will go through.

0 likes

Quote by Mendalla

Five ... Five Chilly Winter Stories! Mwahahahahhahaha!

Thank you The Count!

Have you seen Snuffy anywhere?

Crazy old ape
1 like

Quote by JamesPBear

Thank you The Count!

Have you seen Snuffy anywhere?

Mwahahaha! I heard that he and Big Bird are out at a party. One, one crazy disco dance floor!

Kaiju-adjacent
2 likes

I think I’m in.

<insert furiously typing cat gif here>

Teeth of the Sky - Myths and Monsters competition, first place

Fire and Ice - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words competition, first place

Monster - Survivor competition, first place

Crazy old ape
0 likes

First off, for verbs:

And we are now at six stories with, it appears, a seventh in the queue.

Quote by Ceebees
Looking forward to reading the other entries now. I always like to get my story submitted before reading the others.

I have a mixed approach. Usually, I try to refrain from reading before my own entry is done but sometimes there's an entry that just screams "read me" or I am not sure if I am entering so I start reading earlier.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

I have written a story it is in draft form in the comp page awaiting a picture. One of the characters sees himself as a nerd and I discovered it might be me (although he's only 25) but I am having a hell of a job getting the required picture onto the story page. Just plain copying got it on my Word page and I thought transfer would be as easy. Can anyone advise me (without calling me a nerd--I know that already)

Concluding chapter (16) of THE HIGH AND THE HUMBLE in situ.

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

Quote by Mendalla

I have a mixed approach. Usually, I try to refrain from reading before my own entry is done but sometimes there's an entry that just screams "read me" or I am not sure if I am entering so I start reading earlier.

I couldn't get that to load at all - like 2 hours!

I still don't have an ending....

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

Quote by redwriter

I have written a story it is in draft form in the comp page awaiting a picture. One of the characters sees himself as a nerd and I discovered it might be me (although he's only 25) but I am having a hell of a job getting the required picture onto the story page. Just plain copying got it on my Word page and I thought transfer would be as easy. Can anyone advise me (without calling me a nerd--I know that already)

Has this been solved yet? If you hover the cursor over the pic, right click, choose save image , and save it to your desktop (remember the name of the file!). Then when you go to submit your story, you browse to the photo you saved and select it.