Find your next favourite story now
Login

Announcing The Winners Of Our "A New Years Do Over" Competition!

last reply
39 replies
1.9k views
5 watchers
30 likes
Administration
0 likes

I love how creative the members of StoriesSpace are. Each one of you handled this theme with your own personal twist and it made for exciting reading. You should all be proud of yourselves.

I would like to congratulate Violet_the_Verbose, JLA, and Ceebees for taking the Top 3 Places!

1st Place: Notes of Melody by  Violet_the_Verbose

2nd Place: Dare Not Speak Its Name by  JLA

3rd Place: The Blue Danube Waltz by  Ceebees

The following entries round out the Top 10, and if you haven't done so already, I recommend giving them a read too:

4th Place: Infinity by  Welshdreamer42

5th Place: Shot Through The Heart by  TomEccleston

6th Place: Save The Last Dance For Me by  JamesPBear

7th Place: Unraveling an Icon by  WriterGirl

8th Place: Empty Shell by  redwriter

9th Place: The Unguarded Wish Of The Woman In The Green Stockings by  OpheliaTusk

10th Place: Consequences by  AnnaMayZing

Thank you to everyone that read, scored, and commented. We couldn't do this without you.

Congratulations again to the winners, I'll be in touch today regarding your prizes!

Primus Omnium
0 likes

Congratulations to the fine winners. Nicely done to the others in the top ten.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

This was an amazing competition and I don't envy the judges with coming up with a top 10. Congratulations to Violet for an amazing story and I am shocked and delighted to be on the podium with two fantastic stories from Violet and JLA.

Thanks to Molly and everyone who organised the competition and I look forward to the next one 😊

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quite an interesting slate of stories in this comp. I had a slightly different top 3 in mind but not too far off, actually. Fantastic comp and congratulations to the winners and runners-up. Terrific job, all.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

1 like

What a fantastic result. Well deserved to the top three and congratulations to all my fellow entrants, top ten or not. I thoroughly enjoyed reading all the different approaches to the theme. And thank you to the judges and everyone behind the scenes keeping the site running.

Magnificent Bastard
0 likes

A writer's victory for sure. Spectacular story. Uncompromising. Stupendously creative. Absolutely, positively deserving of the top spot.

Congratulations Violet!!!

Iconoclastically incorrigible or just a silly dumb ass...
0 likes

Congratulations to the podium trio and everyone who entered this competition. I’m gonna be stealing ideas from all of you — you have been warned 😂

Shy Scribbler
0 likes

Huge congrats to the amazing podium and everyone who was brave enough to put your writing out there! worship :worship:

Each story was special in its own way. I'm thankful to have some of my scribbles published amongst you all.

Just a simple girl from Kentucky scribbling her way through this great big world.

Active Ink Slinger
3 likes

Hey, I made it in the top ten for my first competition on here. That's gotta be good right?! Congrats to everyone! I look forward to the next competition!!!

0 likes

Way to go Violet! Congratulations! And to all three of the podium winners, and 9 of the top 10 – Well done!

It was an intriguing topic, Molly – so thank you for suggesting it.

One of these years, we should have a very different kind of Valentine's Day theme: Massacre!

Addicted to words, read and written.

Latest in the Bear & Girl story arc: Girl, Not Frog

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

"A writer's victory for sure" is a good way to put it Pingu. VV, congrats on that REALLY well deserved first place win. And congrats to JLB and Ceebee, and to all the other runners-up. And congrats, of course, to everyone who attempts the impossible task of writing a story and putting it out there for others to read. What a courageous act writing is.

Great comp, great stories, I enjoyed reading every one of these.

Teeth of the Sky - Myths and Monsters competition, first place

Fire and Ice - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words competition, first place

Monster - Survivor competition, first place

Chasing Dragons
1 like

Quote by Ping

A writer's victory for sure. Spectacular story. Uncompromising. Stupendously creative. Absolutely, positively deserving of the top spot.

Quote by verbal

"A writer's victory for sure" is a good way to put it Pingu.

I am a little confused by these statements. While I agree that Violet is a worthy winner, are you both saying that the rest of us are not good writers? That Violet is the only good writer among us? If so, then I am highly insulted. 😲

My genuine congrats, Violet. Yes, you did deserve it. Congrats to the runners up, also and to the rest of the top ten. None of the stories was bad and all deserve to be recognised for the fine works that they were. Well done to you all.

If anyone wishes to find the beginning of this epic saga, here it is:
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-nurses.aspx

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

https://www.vbay.info/thenurses

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

1 like

Quote by AnnaMayZing

Quote by Ping

Quote by verbal

"A writer's victory for sure" is a good way to put it Pingu.

I am a little confused by these statements. While I agree that Violet is a worthy winner, are you both saying that the rest of us are not good writers? That Violet is the only good writer among us?

That’s the impression I got, too.

Poor choice of words, Ping. Very poor.

Magnificent Bastard
0 likes

Unbelievable.

How narcissistic are you two overly sensitive snowflakes? You’re upset that I recognize the winner of the competition but that I didn’t mention you and your non-winning stories? Seriously?

I compliment the writer of a spectacular story, a story that brilliantly uses similes and metaphors, paints an amazingly emotive atmosphere with her meticulously chosen words, and ends in such a wonderful manner that it leaves the reader thinking about and wanting more. That is not just telling a story, but shows that she has written a contest-winning story in a next level manner.

But you two make this about you. Pathetic. Do you want a medal for your attendance too? Should everyone who enters get an award?

Sorry Violet, I hope their immature selfishness doesn’t diminish what you’ve accomplished. I also hope they realize what they’ve done and delete their immature comments, so I in turn can delete this.

Unbelievable.

Chasing Dragons
0 likes

Actually, Ping, what I would really like is for you to shut your mouth. I am quite sick of the crap that constantly flows from it! This is not about me but about all the other members here who have to listen to the constant rot that flows from between your lips. Maybe if you weren't so self-absorbed, you might realise that you are a major part of the problem here!

Unfortunately, being immature is the perfect description of your attitude. Don't apologise to Violet on my behalf, this is not about her but about you.

Obviously, my understanding of your original statement was correct.

Learn to pipe down for once!

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Magnificent Bastard
0 likes

Quote by AnnaMayZing

Actually, Ping, what I would really like is for you to shut your mouth. I am quite sick of the crap that constantly flows from it! This is not about me but about all the other members here who have to listen to the constant rot that flows from between your lips. Maybe if you weren't so self-absorbed, you might realise that you are a major part of the problem here!

Unfortunately, being immature is the perfect description of your attitude. Don't apologise to Violet on my behalf, this is not about her but about you.

And there it is. Your apology is accepted.

You can deal with admin now.

0 likes

Do me a favour, Ping. Read the thread. All of it. From the start.

No one is trying to diminish Violet’s win.

You, however, have belittled everyone else by calling the win a “writer’s win” and singling out only one piece. We’re all writers, Ping. Even you sometimes.

Chasing Dragons
0 likes

Quote by Ping

Quote by AnnaMayZing

And there it is. Your apology is accepted.

You can deal with admin now.

Really? How sad. If only you had just explained yourself instead of launching into a tirade of abuse. But then, that is you, isn't it?

1 like

I have been saying for years that SS has a stench about it. Please respect our readers and writers. Noone! is above all.

Writing down under
0 likes

Congratulation VV, JLB and Ceebee on the podium, and to the runners-up. And of course congratulations to everyone who entered this competition fine stories inside and outside the top ten. Thanks to Molly and those who enabled this truly excellent competition.

I remember the absolute joy of my competition win, Violet. As I said in my comment on your story "I am a touch speechless about how good this is; the rawness, the emotion, forensically presented. And how the hell did you do this is such a short time, the maturing of your writing blows me away." It has been a total joy seeing the growth in your craft over the last 14 months. Don't let the above take the gloss off the stupendous achievement. Ping is right, this is a writer's victory, simply because you are a fabulous writer.

My latest story, Mardi Gras Competition: Sydney's Mardi Gras: We Shall Overcome

Some earlier stories:

Spooky Tales competition: Tales From the Crypt: Downunder Edition

Tam-challenge Micro: Under the Red Hoodie 

Maybe my best story: Finding Pride on Oxford Street

Chasing Dragons
0 likes

Quote by CuriousAnnie

Don't let the above take the gloss off the stupendous achievement. Ping is right, this is a writer's victory, simply because you are a fabulous writer.

You are absolutely right, Annie, however, you have stated such in a far less offensive way. As I said, the above is not a reflection on Violet's achievement but on Ping's attitude to the other writers here. He could have easily corrected his post but chose instead, to launch a wholly unnecessary attack.

0 likes

I'm sorry, I don't understand. I am elated to have my story acknowledged and appreciated. And I would not have wanted to be a judge in this competition – all of the stories were remarkable!

Is it really necessary that there always be a fight over judging?

Violet's story was extraordinary, and she has continually grown as a writer – and for that, I rejoice.

But that throws no shade on any other author who entered. It was an astonishing array of talent on display.

Addicted to words, read and written.

Latest in the Bear & Girl story arc: Girl, Not Frog

Chasing Dragons
0 likes

Quote by JamesPBear

I'm sorry, I don't understand. I am elated to have my story acknowledged and appreciated. And I would not have wanted to be a judge in this competition – all of the stories were remarkable!

Is it really necessary that there always be a fight over judging?

Violet's story was extraordinary, and she has continually grown as a writer – and for that, I rejoice.

But that throws no shade on any other author who entered. It was an astonishing array of talent on display.

Sorry, James, but I think you misunderstood the problem. There was no complaint from anyone regarding the judging or the results. You need to scroll further back to see the cause of the issue.

Administration
2 likes

I am asking the bickering to stop. This was a fun event with some amazing submissions and this is not the time or the place to argue.

This is a thread to celebrate if you have an issue with something take it private or take it to an admin.

Rookie Scribe
3 likes

Everybody who writes is a writer. I didn't think I could be a writer, but with the time and effort and the encouragement of others, I am now. I loved Violet's story. I loved the magic in it in juxtaposition with the sometimes awfulness of life. It's beautiful and a well-deserved win. That's worthy of a celebration. I can't honestly say that I've read the others, but I'd like to. So many stories that should be read. Congratulations to everyone who took the time and effort to write - that in itself is an accomplishment and you should all be proud of being writers. smile

Shy Scribbler
0 likes

The question that needs to be asked is: What ya gonna do with all that cash, Violet??? biggrin Tell us!!! WriterGirl hopes you buy yourself something really fun with it!

And I showed my sis these stories and she was blown away ... said she could see all of us published in book stores. I think the quality in this particular comp by everyone was super duper.

Just a simple girl from Kentucky scribbling her way through this great big world.

Crazy old ape
1 like

Quote by WriterGirl
she could see all of us published in book stores

Hmmm. An anthology of Stories Space comp winners and runners up could actually be an interesting idea.😉

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Shy Scribbler
1 like

Mendalla, I think all 14 in one anthology would be freakin' awesome. Same as last Spooky comp. I seriously think all stories in last 2 comps very, very good. Proceeds go to storiesspace. smile