"Summer Vacation" story contest - Winners announced

last reply
28 replies
10.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
We're happy to announce our latest writing competition is now open. The theme for this contest is travel and summer vacations. Entries can cover any of our categories, including poetry and songs. The minimum word count for stories is 1000 and the maximum is 5000. Further details can be found here.

We look forward to reading your entries! Good luck, everyone!
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
My story will be about the travels of the Olympic Torch.

I've written the intro - which is always the hardest part for me.
Rest in Peace
0 likes
I have an idea for a travel story as well...it involves the boss of a famous story site giving her loyal, hard-working staff a month long, all expense paid vacation aboard a luxury cruise ship...complete with open bar and complimentary ice cream...

Too bad it's just a fiction piece...
I once knew a drinker who had a moderating problem...

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by steffanie
My story will be about the travels of the Olympic Torch.

I've written the intro - which is always the hardest part for me.

That's a great idea for a story. The intro's always the part I struggle with most, too.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by DirtyMartini
I have an idea for a travel story as well...it involves the boss of a famous story site giving her loyal, hard-working staff a month long, all expense paid vacation aboard a luxury cruise ship...complete with open bar and complimentary ice cream...

Too bad it's just a fiction piece...

I get to come along too, right?
Rest in Peace
0 likes
Quote by Lisa

I get to come along too, right?

You certainly may...we just need somebody to look after the place for a month or so...

And hopefully when we all get back, the contest will be judged, the prizes will be given out...and the place will still be here...

Administration
0 likes
You had me convinced at 'ice cream'... my bags are packed.

Good luck to everyone who will be entering the contest, I look forward to reading all of your submissions. Fun times ahead.

“Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.”

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Only a few more days to go until the contest closes. We've received a great mix of stories and poems so far. If you're looking at entering there's still time!
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by Lisa
Only a few more days to go until the contest closes. We've received a great mix of stories and poems so far. If you're looking at entering there's still time!

Will the list of entries still be visible when the closing date has passed, or would it be better to add them to my reading queue?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Daisy
Quote by Lisa

Will the list of entries still be visible when the closing date has passed, or would it be better to add them to my reading queue?

They'll disappear from the contest page after the fourteenth, so adding them to your reading queue is a good idea. I like that feature. It's a handy one!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thank you very much to everyone who took part in our Summer Vacation writing competition. The standard of entries in this contest made it extremely difficult to come up with the winners. Please join me in giving a big congratulations to our winning entries:

First place - Audacity by Sitting $200 cash prize

Second place - He Had Blue Eyes by Tiula $100 cash prize

Third place - The Fantastic Voyage of Bellingham Sam by Magnificent1Rascal $50 cash prize

Thanks to everyone who supported the authors by reading, voting and commenting on their entries.

Thanks also to those who helped out with the judging.

=d>
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes

Congratulations everyone!! Well done!!

There are two kinds of people in the world.
Those who like bacon.
And those who are wrong.

Twitter: @fifafan1969
Rest in Peace
0 likes
A big well-deserved congrats to all...and I have to say it was extremely tight at the top...and if you entered the contest, and didn't win...well, you may have missed by a millimeter or so...just sayin'

Administration
0 likes
Congrats to everyone who entered the competition, choosing only three out of all of the brilliantly written pieces was no easy task. Well done to all of you, but most especially to our top three contestants. =d>

“Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.”

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Well done! WOOOOOOOO!
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Congratulations to all of the well deserving winners of the Summer Vacation contest!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Congratulations guys!!!

Excellent choices!!

Xxxx
Lurker
0 likes
Congratulations to all the contestants you guys are all winners!
Lurker
0 likes
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!! I FEEL LIKE I'VE WON AN OSCAR...no, THIS IS BETTER THAN AN OSCAR! OR A GRAMMY! OR A BAFTA! smile
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Congratulations Sitting! A worthy winner
Life exists. Or it doesn't. Who knows?
0 likes
Quote by magnificent1rascal

Congratulations to Sitting and Tiula, and to all who put their work out there to be judged. Some terrific pieces came out of this contest, and their writers are to be commended. Well done!

All I can add to that is congratulations to you, too, on your story and being in the top three laureats.
Lurker
0 likes
In my excitement I forgot to say a huge congratulations to Maggie Rascal and Tiula ...so CONGRATULATIONS! And well done to everyone who entered too! smile
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Congrats to sitting and Maggie Rascal, and of course to all entrants for your wonderful stories... and thank you!!! biggrin It's definitely better than a BAFTA (which is on my to-do list, by the way! Who wants to be my plus-one? :P)
"He Had Blue Eyes", my competition entry heavily inspired by my time spent in Italy:

"The Elements", my book of short stories recently published on Amazon:

Never allow someone else to become your priority while allowing yourself to become their option.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
great job guys!!!!!
All Alone my latest story.
Lurker
0 likes
Well done to all the winners and entrants.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Congratulations Sitting, Tiula and Magnificent1rascal and all of the other entrants, great competition everyone.
"No one knows when the final grain of sand will plummet through their own personal Hourglass." ~ CKAcres
"If you really want to make a difference, don't over think it, just do it..."
"Scars of life are deeply etched within the minds of curious old souls."
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Another excellent competition... and all for free!!!

Well done you winners
0 likes
Quote by Lisa
Thank you very much to everyone who took part in our Summer Vacation writing competition. The standard of entries in this contest made it extremely difficult to come up with the winners. Please join me in giving a big congratulations to our winning entries:

First place - [url=]Audacity[/url] by Sitting $200 cash prize

Second place - [url=]He Had Blue Eyes[/url] by Tiula $100 cash prize

Third place - [url=]The Fantastic Voyage of Bellingham Sam[/url] by Magnificent1Rascal $50 cash prize

congratulations!!!!