For those who have not yet entered

Teeth of the Sky - Myths and Monsters competition, first place

Fire and Ice - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words competition, first place

Monster - Survivor competition, first place

Chasing Dragons
0 likes

If anyone wishes to find the beginning of this epic saga, here it is:
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-nurses.aspx

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

https://www.vbay.info/thenurses

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes
Last day! And I think we're still awaiting entries from the Sensual Lady and from the One True Ping. I TOLD you all we'd break 10 handily!

I'm all caught up with reading them, until the last few come in.

When are results announced?

Magnificent Bastard
0 likes
Quote by verbal
Last day! And I think we're still awaiting entries from the Sensual Lady and from the One True Ping. I TOLD you all we'd break 10 handily!

Ugh. I did it. OTP's story is in the house.

Sorry for the delay. Just such a busy time right now. I'll start reading the remaining stories tonight.
Iconoclastically incorrigible or just a silly dumb ass...
Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes
Quote by Ping
Quote by verbal

Ugh. I did it. OTP's story is in the house.

Sorry for the delay. Just such a busy time right now. I'll start reading the remaining stories tonight.

Yay! Looking forward to reading it. And it's horror!!!

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Finally, I have managed to read all the stories. The standard is very high. Good luck to everyone.h7jfU5utd7CjDxKT
Crazy old ape
0 likes
So, fourteen barring any more last minute entries. That's only two short of last summer's Summer Word Bank comp so not bad at all. I shall endeavour to read more tonight. Busy-ness and a bout of depression kind of set me back since my initial run of reading entries. And I love the good comments I have been getting here. So much better than "like it" which is the extent of so many comment I get elsewhere.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Administration
0 likes
Verity: We’ll Be Home By Christmas

Survivor: The Little Survivor

AnnaMayZing: Over The Top

KatarinaTechgoddess: I'm Still alive

CuriousAnnie: Broken Banns

TheShyThespian: Hand In My Pocket

Verbal: Monster

Mendalla: Us Survivors

Tams: The Girl With More Than One Name

JamesPBear: Unbeaten!

Violet_the_Verbose: When The Cicada Sings

DenimAngel: A Survivor's Story

aussie_kitty77: Memories

Ping: Pine

TheSensualLady: On The Edge

Blackdog: Winter Convalescence
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Mendalla
So, fourteen barring any more last minute entries. That's only two short of last summer's Summer Word Bank comp so not bad at all. I shall endeavour to read more tonight. Busy-ness and a bout of depression kind of set me back since my initial run of reading entries. And I love the good comments I have been getting here. So much better than "like it" which is the extent of so many comment I get elsewhere.
Oh Mr Mendalla, sorry to hear you are feeling down at the moment. Let me send you some love. You are never alone on here.
Crazy old ape
0 likes
Been pouring through some of the comp entries that I missed during the week. Some really good stuff here. Nicely done, SS writers.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes
Yeah, what everyone else has said: an excellent group of stories. I'm proud to be part of this field!

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Can every entry get an award? They all deserve one...

Administration
0 likes
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that participated in this competition. Also, thank you to those of you that took the time to read, score, and comment.

We have some excellent writers here and I'm always excited to see what you all come up with.

Just in case you didn't see, the winners will be announced on August 1st.

Best of luck!
Writing down under
0 likes
Quote by Molly
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that participated in this competition. Also, thank you to those of you that took the time to read, score, and comment.

We have some excellent writers here and I'm always excited to see what you all come up with.

Just in case you didn't see, the winners will be announced on August 1st.

Best of luck!

Thanks Molly. Thanks to all those who had a part in organising what has been a wonderful competition, with every story so very good. Indeed this is a group of wonderful writers.

Some of you, who know me from elsewhere, know I'm a bit of a competition junkie (17 going on 18 in a row.) I am a chronic perfectionist who can still be editing months after any sane writer would have published. The Comps have deadlines which works for me, but are also a wonderful way of reading new writers and building a writing community.

This comp has been a favourite of mine, the friendliness and community is so strong here and that brings out the best in us all.

Annie

My latest story, Mardi Gras Competition: Sydney's Mardi Gras: We Shall Overcome

Some earlier stories:

Spooky Tales competition: Tales From the Crypt: Downunder Edition

Tam-challenge Micro: Under the Red Hoodie 

Maybe my best story: Finding Pride on Oxford Street

Magnificent Bastard
0 likes
Quote by CuriousAnnie
This comp has been a favourite of mine, the friendliness and community is so strong here and that brings out the best in us all.

How dare you! We will have nun of that. Second place is first place looser, and so on. Win at all costs.

Darn upload limitations. I have a funny penguin gif where one smacks the other to the ground. I wanted to juxtapose the tuxedo’d pairing. Penguins & Nuns. I sense a very hot South African catholic school story in the making or a very chilly one from Antarctica. But I don’t think there are any catholic colonies on the big berg.

Good comp. I concur. At the very least, we learned that Verbs was raised by wolves.
Magnificent Bastard
0 likes

Yippee!!!
Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes
Quote by Ping
Quote by CuriousAnnie

Darn upload limitations. I have a funny penguin gif where one smacks the other to the ground. I wanted to juxtapose the tuxedo’d pairing. Penguins & Nuns. I sense a very hot South African catholic school story in the making or a very chilly one from Antarctica. But I don’t think there are any catholic colonies on the big berg.

Good comp. I concur. At the very least, we learned that Verbs was raised by wolves.

I'll have you know I was raised by milquetoast Southern Baptists in the middle of Iowa. I'm about as non-wolf as they come.

Now, raised by birds - that's something to aspire too. I had this idea last night: what if the birds started talking to children. All over the world. Just flew to them and whispered something. And none of the kids will tell anyone what the birds said.

It was a really strong, fun contest, I agree.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Ping
Quote by CuriousAnnie

How dare you! We will have nun of that. Second place is first place looser, and so on. Win at all costs.

Winning isn't everything. As long as you win.
Story Moderator
0 likes
Quote by verbal

I'll have you know I was raised by milquetoast Southern Baptists in the middle of Iowa. I'm about as non-wolf as they come.

Now, raised by birds - that's something to aspire too. I had this idea last night: what if the birds started talking to children. All over the world. Just flew to them and whispered something. And none of the kids will tell anyone what the birds said.

It was a really strong, fun contest, I agree.

Not exactly the same as your bird idea but this amused me.

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes
It’s August 1st on the East Coast of the US. Just sayin’.

Administration
0 likes
Quote by verbal
It’s August 1st on the East Coast of the US. Just sayin’.

Haha, I needed to sleep, but it is up now.