Find your next favourite story now
Login

Musings Stories

Our Musings category focuses on speculation, reflection and deep thought, covering everything from self-contemplation to humorous views on life in general.

This is the place to submit your thoughts on spiritual matters or philosophical subjects and to share your feelings on any topics you’ve ever pondered or wondered about.

Time Stands Still For No One

Thoughts on growing old.

I am related by marriage to one of the big old Birmingham UK families, and at any family event, there are always aunts and uncles, cousins, and nephews, and nieces to catch up with. This afternoon, I attended a family funeral, and as is always the case it...

Score 5 5
5
265 Views 265
161 words 161 words

What Gives You The Right

My rambling thoughts...

What gives you the right to assume I’m DTF? That’s Down To… Well, you can look it up. I assure you I’m not. Perhaps after some time, some long time, and a bonding friendship built of courting and a heavy dose of flirting. Yes, I said courting. People don’...

His eyes were curious, his ears inquisitive. I wondered if he was a fan of Taylor Swift or if the sound of the ukulele touched at some primal memory. Or, maybe like me, he just liked the sound of the small waterfall that cascaded down the smooth time-worn...

Score 6 6
6
379 Views 379
841 words 841 words

The Voice of My Hair

Life's Coping Mechanisms

The other day I stared into the mirror looking at my receding hairline and feeling I could have done with some better genes and some better hair maybe? But then I stopped and shut my eyes... One thought led to the other and took me down a rabbit hole of t...

Score 1 1
1
267 Views 267
525 words 525 words

I see your face When I close my eyes I hear our music Your voice in my head Love has no limit No ending of time In my heart and soul You’re with me The touch is strong Still I miss you

Score 4 4
2
274 Views 274
44 words 44 words

Getting A Little Heiny

Sometimes we’ve done a better job than we think we’re doing…

Camping. Love it or hate it, it sucks. Rainy tent erection. Sucks. Boisterous drunken neighbours. Sucks. Mosquitoes. Every single one of them sucks. What doesn’t suck are the shared lasting memories that are both measurable and immeasurable. The indelible...

Crashing guitars on a summer night. You can’t beat it. The boy’s bashing his guitar for all he’s worth. He’s really battering it. I’m taking a break from socialising, leaning at the bar with an ice cold beer in my hands, enjoying the show. We’re in the he...

I don’t know when I lost her. She held on as long as she could. I was aloof. Careless. I loved her. I just never showed her how much. Now I can’t. She has flown away forever. I saw caterpillars. She saw butterflies.

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Memories

Make the most of very moment...

I was flicking through sites on my phone while enjoying my morning coffee when I read an advertisement for a writing competition. To be eligible you were required to write a story of between one and five thousand words about a situation where you survived...

I'm Still Alive

My time should have been up long ago, but I'm still here...I'm Still Alive

The impact was sudden and fierce. But the fear didn’t set in until I saw the vehicle that rear-ended me rolling toward me. “I’m not ready to die,” I prayed out loud. Then I closed my eyes and let faith wash over me. When I opened my eyes again, the silver...

I go into town on the night I arrive home.  I was bound to.  I’ve been away for a while and I want to see what’s going on.  I have a bit of a sleep when I’ve dumped my stuff in my room but, after that, I’m feeling more refreshed.  Then I have a soak in th...

Why We Don't Eat Our Young

From a few years ago, but the sentiment still holds true today...

The Boy Able to take advantage of a much-ballyhooed birthday gift, my son successfully completed an introductory snorkeling class. We then went shopping. Standing at the mercy of an empty big box sporting goods store, not comforted by the proper diving sp...